I have received notification from the NBU that EFB has been discovered within 3 km of my apiary (in central London). I have two hives a metre apart with vegetative barriers between them to hinder drifting. I took honey off the smaller Warre (3 boxes) which was in the (long) process of converting from a National brood box in June. The other Warre is now on 6 boxes and has not been opened since the spring. As EFB is stress induced, I am hoping my hives are not infected.
I am anxious about what interventions the Inspector is going to demand. I fear there is little sympathy for the Warre system in London in general and by inspectors. Does anyone have any tips?
My bees died this winter. I suspected the colony was dead/dying because there was a build up of dead bees outside the hive and in the floor of the hive. When they didn’t start flying in the spring I peered in the top of the hive and there was no activity. I’ve been quite busy and away with work a bit so I only picked the hive up and brought it home today. I haven’t taken the combs out of the boxes yet but looking at the comb from underneath the boxes they are very mouldy. Today I’ve read that a hive left without bees will go mouldy so it seems leaving it so long was a school boy error.
I want to try to work out what has killed the bees and will look more closely when I take the top bars out with the attached comb in the next couple of days. So far I have dead bees outside and inside the hive on the floor and mouldy comb to go by. I suppose mould could have started whilst there were still bees and perhaps there was too much moisture in the hive. The bees don’t have deformed wings and look normal.
My question is ….
Is it safe to harvest honey from mouldy comb using the cut and drain method? It seems like the crush and strain method will lead to a lot of mould getting in the honey. Even with the cut and drain method the honey is going to be in contact with the mould.
Further to last years posting (September), I have recently suffered another anaphylaxis incident, following a bee sting on my neck. This was more serious than last year (I was unconscious) and the doctor has told me that another incident could be fatal.
Sadly the bees will have to go. Andrew Forbes (see previous comments) has offered to take one colony. I need to get rid of my my other colony (or both if someone wants both – Andrew is just taking one hive as a favour).
I haven’t touched either hive since the previous incident (except for an occasional peek through the observation windows). I haven’t treated them, taken honey,or fed them, but both seem pretty active.
I’m scared to go near them now, so I’m hoping that some kind soul will come and take them away for me.
You can contact me on 023 8026 8567 if you prefer and want to know any more. I am happy to wait until the weather turns colder (surely it must soon!!!)
I have been contacted by someone in the Cheltenham area who has a top bar hive (with bees) looking for a good home. If you are interested please email: hazel bolton (at) g mail (dot) com (reconstruct the email leaving out the gaps etc.).
For about a week now my horizontal top bar hive has been under siege by wasps and, more recently, by hornets. I reduced the 3 entrances to 1 and then reduced the size of that single entrance. I’ve cautiously put out wasp traps (knowing that this may increase the number of wasps and have found and destroyed 2 wasp nests. Last night in desperation I closed the last entrance knowing that it would be cool today and on the basis that the bees might recuperate and nothing could get in. The wasps are still there in numbers. I think they can smell honey/the colony through the mesh floor. For a few days the wasps were held at bay but yesterday wasps and a few hornets seemed to be entering with impunity. Is there anything else I can do? would moving the hive help? I plan to let the bees out later on today so they can get water but I am feeling increasingly helpless and hopeless. Any advice would be really welcomed.