I liked the idea of making nettle tea/syrup for my bees, after all bee food isn’t just sugar and water, and adding ascorbic acid to regulate the pH, attempt to enhance the food value and to delay the growth of moulds in the solution (I’m using the terms vitamin C and ascorbic acid to mean the same thing, if they are not please let me know).
However, my queries on this practice are:
How much Vitamin C is sufficient for the concentration of sugar solutions used for feeding?
The Ascorbic acid (food grade) powder that I have seems not to want to dissolve easily in the syrup directly and it’s necessary to dissolve it in water prior to adding it to the syrup. Is there a better way as even this involves a lot of shaking to get it to dissolve, would alcohol be better as long as it didn’t get the bees too boisterous or should that be “beesterous” ?
I know that heat and to some extent light cause rapid degradation of Vitamin C but it also seems that Vitamin C degrades by dissolution so the benefit is short lived anyway, so am I wasting my time?
Are there any bee-keeping chemists reading this board who can give an authoritative opinion on this topic?
Or do I just do what I normally do and do what seems to be right?