I have two hTBH. Both were very strong until start of bad weather in April. I nearly lost one hive, starvation, I think though it has recovered a little and is still active but not that many bees. The other is packed out in the existing combs but doesn’t seem to have made any new combs this season. It hasn’t swarmed though looks like it could/might at any moment. Theres 18inches of solid bees in there. It’s amazing to watch.
I haven’t opened it for two months or so preferring to be hands off where possible.
I have two empty warres waiting for swarms, which I hoped would come from these two colonies, assuming I am around and find the swarm when it leaves.
I did a split last season and afterwards felt very guilty that I had interfered with their plans and democracy. They swarmed anyway but that’s another story.
If I miss the swarm I will be disappointed and am wondering if I should split the strong colony into the other end of the one of the hTBH. Can I do that in the same hive or should I move them a distance. Assume I need to transfer eggs or a queen cell assuming I find them. It’s a pretty messy hive, inside, partly my fault for interfering.
I can understand why the weak hive hasn’t swarmed, I don’t think it would survive, but the strong hive has had plenty of opportunities.
So should I split or should I let the bees do their thing?
As far as I know I am the only been for a mile or two and I have never seen a swarm here, except the one from my hive, so my source of bees is limited. Is it a good idea to have several colonies all related, they seem very healthy and happy, or would it be better to bring in some new genes??
Not sure what to do. Any suggestions.
EricHalfBee – Somerset